Monday, April 29, 2019

My Starting Point

Before I started this project I didn't really have any knowledge about what Down Syndrome was. Growing up I always knew that my uncle Mark was different and my sister and I never got sheltered away from him which is lovely thinking about it as years ago people with Down Syndrome would have been hidden away from literally everyone. 

The main aim for my work is to develop a close relationship with my uncle through a collaborative photography project, my other aim is to gain a better understanding of Down Syndrome and how it is portrayed and talked about in todays society. My nan (my uncle Mark's mum) died when I was 10 years old so I never really got the chance to ask her about my uncle Mark's disability. My uncle was someone that she loved and cared for since day 1 and he definitely had a special place in her heart, because of that they was extremely close so I feel that by producing this collaborative project with him, that is my way of reconnecting with her.

I will be teaching my uncle how to use my Instax Mini 8 Polaroid Camera as I feel that my DSLR might be too complicated for him and it may also be too heavy. There will be a more positive outcome by letting him take photographs using a polaroid camera, not only does he get an instant result but he will be able to watch as it develops and he will be able to see his photographs appearing which I think he will find more enjoyable.

I wrote small diary entries of thoughts and feelings for each time that I went to visit so I will insert photographs of each diary entry throughout the project.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Live URL Link

Live URL Link:  https://acppopenbrief.blogspot.com