Thursday, April 25, 2019

Christopher Capozziello

I have chosen to study Christopher Capozziello's series The Distance Between Us as much like my own project he has photographed a relative with disability. The difference between our work is that he is carefully photographing his brother who suffers with cerebral palsy where as I am carefully photographing my uncle who has Down Syndrome.

In the description of this series he writes:

"The Distance Between Us is a book where I turn the camera on my own life and that of my twin brother Nick. The pictures and text confront our differences and the anger and shame I have felt for being the healthy twin. Nick has cerebral palsy..."

"...Sharing the pictures was not something I ever set out to do; over the years, one image led to another, and a story emerged. The time I have spent with my brother, looking through my camera, has forced me to ask questions about suffering and faith and why anyone is born with disability."

Where Capozziello's series had lead him to question why people are born with disability, my project widely differs. My project is not only about creating a strong bond through my collaboration with my uncle but it is also about gaining further knowledge so that I have a better understanding of Down Syndrome and how the different severities affect each person differently.

Information on the work can be found at: http://www.chriscappy.com/the-distance-between-us-book
Images can be found at: http://www.chriscappy.com/part-1#








No comments:

Post a Comment

Live URL Link

Live URL Link:  https://acppopenbrief.blogspot.com